Saturday, October 25, 2008

Self and ID

Since the beginning of time, people have been eager to evolve. Whether it be the Cretan woman wearing her corset to accentuate her body, or the today girl wearing the Invisi Bra to hide her bra to make her curves seem all natural, people have been able to invent and innovate ways of changing. It is only human of us to want to alter our image in some way or form.

We, as a body of individuals, are always looking to better ourselves. Whether it be for self satisfaction of self consciousness’; what we crave is change. The society that we live in today promotes change. We are always evolving and hoping to find the next best thing—in technology and in ourselves as an individual.

There are stereotypes and images that we all have instilled in our brain that we receive by our environment. This includes our upbringing, media, and experiences throughout life. It is inescapable, so is it possible to be truly unbiased?

To a certain individual, one tangible product can be treasured, while to another individual might find something else to more desirable. I believe there is no real way to measure that feeling of what a person has. This analogy goes hand in hand with self image.

Coming to RISD made me realize a lot. Growing up in a predominately white neighborhood, where all the kids were wealthy and preppy it was hard for me to adjust. I had grown up in a bubble. It seemed that way for a lot of kids—they seemed to have come from a bubble, but they all seemed to fit in and get along with each other so well. What made their bubble so different from mine, where they all got along and I never felt really comfortable?

I saw many changes in people while at RISD. People who weren’t “artsy” had all of sudden adjusted themselves into that image. Their clothes changed from whatever they used to wear to the Salvation Army—“I haven’t showered in a week” look. Apparently, that was a look that was highly desirable at this school, a look that I don’t find desirable at all. To me, all the people who were changing around me were artificial.

Aren’t we all artificial in a way? The self-distinguishing color of a person is constantly being tested under the narcissistic portrayal of the media and society’s norm.The way we should look and the things we should have all come from somewhere. We should not criticize the image or objects a person has because in the end, one way or another, we are the masters and creators of that persona.


“The values and ideas about life embodied in designed objects are not natural, objective or fixed, but manmade, artificial and mutable.” -Anthony Dunne


I only recently wanted to purchase a bicycle. Many people at RISD have them, so I wanted to know what the entire rave was about. I wanted to know why it was so “cool” to have a bike. I went to the bike shop and couldn’t believe my eyes. Almost all of the bikes at the shop were over $1000. I never knew that bikes were so expensive! To me it would be ludicrous to make a bike purchase of $1000. I would much rather buy something else for $1000+.

After my recent discovery, it really got me thinking. Everybody was so hypocritical. What made having ten $1000+ bicycles so different from having for example ten $1000+ handbags? In one’s eyes walking in a bike shop and finding out bikes are so expensive might be a shock, while another person might walk into a department store and find that handbags are so expensive be a shock to them.

These two products are equally gluttonous, if owned in excess (which is also determined by one’s environment). They are both manmade and artificial. Hence, my conclusion was that owning an products is all in the same. There should be no guilt in things we find pleasure. In essence, owning a designer bike is like owning a designer handbag. They are both an accessory to better the “image” we want to create for ourselves.

In order to cater to all the types of personas, there must be equally a market for these looks. As designers we are the future to making these new personas. We are the ones creating the new technology and thinking of the new ideas. We will be creating the new products that eventually people will purchase, which will be the influence to someone and their perceived thought about anyone and anything.

As designers we will be solely responsible for change. We will use past, present, future methods--manual or technological-- to alter images. As long as humans are breathing, living, feeling creatures we will interests in all fields. There will be goods being produced to "enhance" or what we perceive to "enhance" ourselves. Till the day where everything and everyone is mechanized, designers will be around and change will be inevitable.

Afterthought.....

As a designer, one should consider what they are interested in and what they are passionate about. Whatever that interest is, whatever that niche may be, there will be a place for them on this earth. I myself as a designer am still exploring my interests. Throughout my explorations I only hope to find an phenomenon that excites and inspires me to become a better designer.

No comments: