Sunday, November 9, 2008

Problems of the World

Growing up in New York/New Jersey, I might not have seen the world, but I have seen the problems that lie within my environment-there are a lot. There are the homeless people I see every day. I don’t even know how they survive in the conditions that they are under. The other day I was sitting to get on the subway and a little boy had sat next to me. He looked my way frightened, I didn’t know why. Was I that repulsive? I looked around to see what could be the problem, when I got this awful stench coming from right next to me. I looked and there was a homeless man, you couldn’t even see his face because it was buried under an oversized coat. He was wearing raggy slipper and socks that looked like they were a part of his skin because he had not taken them off for so long. There were brown stains; I’m assuming it was because he took a number 2 in his pants. All the accumulation of dirt and bacteria had started to deteriorate his skin. There was fungus growing everywhere.

Seeing that man got surprised me. Not because he was in that state, but because I hadn’t even noticed him prior to the little boys scared face. I probably would have continually not have noticed the man.

Later that day I was on the subway and didn’t know how to get to a particular location. I had sat down waiting for the subway to come and decided to ask someone. I turned to me left to ask the man next to me. When he responded, the stench coming from his mouth and body was unbelievable. He answered politely and I left, not able to bear the smell. I turned around to look at him, and to my surprise, he was a homeless man. How did I not know this prior to speaking to him!

I began to realize how much a problem this had stirred in me. The surroundings I was seeing was merely surroundings, I couldn’t even get the details right. How could someone be sitting next to me, and me now know it. I realized how immunized to my surrounding and the tragedies around it and how sad that really was. In my mind, I thought as a person I had a lot to think about, all the material we learn about I school, my life problems, my friends’ life problems, and my relatives problems. I was looking, but not really.

Listening to Dr. Bruce Becker helped me realize something. I knew by my past experiences that even though I think I know tragedies, I really don't. Experiencing them first hand, such as Dr. Becker had done is something incredible. Although there are so many problems around us, he was able to look at the bigger picture to help us as a people. Of course I think we should help our nation because we have a fair share or problems, but third world countries and nations less fortunate or in need of safety are just as imporant. Dr. Becker is right. Although one person cannot make huge changes in other countries a lot less fortunate, it still helps. If one person helps, and another, it soon turns into a large group of contributors. This large group can make a difference. To get there…it’s one step at a time. We can help ourselves, while helping others. It's a group effort to make the world a better place.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/TRAVEL/11/15/moma.safe/index.html

http://www.moma.org/exhibitions/2005/safe/

I have visted the MoMA numerous times, since I live right there. There was a particular exhibit that interested me about keeping the homeless warm. There were insulation houses that were very accessable. I looked up this project that was done and found a series of other projects. These project reflect our need for safety. It is not only us that need a sense of safety, but something everyone wants.

No comments: